SMCSC bus anti-freeze leak sends one to hospital, 59 others examined


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

 

Photo Gallery:


Click to view (3 Photos)


Pendleton - One girl was taken to the hospital and 59 others were examined by paramedics and registered nurses after anti-freeze leaked into a South Madison Community School Corp. bus Friday morning.

John Lord, principal of Maple Ridge Elementary school, said he got a call from the driver of Bus No. 23 shortly after 8 a.m. The bus was about an eighth of a mile from Maple Ridge when the accident occurred.

Students alerted the driver to the problem when they started seeing liquid from a back heater. Students also reported seeing it flow into the floor and also smelled it, according to Lord.

Students were evacuated from the bus into a nearby field to wait for ambulances and emergency personnel.

Once at the school, students were ushered into the nurse’s office or gymnasium and were given a plastic bag in which to place their belongings. Some students were ushered into the shower area and also given a change of clothes. Others were examined for complaints of burns or trouble breathing.

One female fifth-grade student was transported to the hospital with minor burns.

Lord said all students had anti-freeze on their shoes and around their ankles because the floor was flooded.

This story appears in the print edition of Times-Post. Subscribers can read the entire story online by signing in here or in our e-Edition by clicking here.

All content copyright ©2014 Pendleton Times-Post, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Times-Post • 126 W. State St. • Pendleton, IN 46064 • (765) 778-2324