LAPEL — Frankton-Lapel Community School Corp. recently awarded evaluation bonus pay to educators who earned the funds through the state evaluation model.
Superintendent Bobby Fields told the board during a school board meeting that the district received about $89,500 for its Teacher Appreciation Grant from the Indiana Department of Education to be paid to teachers who earned it.
The bonuses were for the 2017-18 school year and to be paid to educators rated effective or highly effective teachers who scored well on the evaluation model and were employed by the district as of Dec. 1, 2017.
The board approved payment of $496 to teachers rated effective and $620.16 to those rated highly effective.
In other business, the board approved:
• Several recommendations for hire, including Candace McDonald, corporation treasurer; Timothy Jordan, eighth-grade girls assistant basketball coach (volunteer); and several positions at Lapel High School: Valarie Canfield, science teacher; Kaitlyn Dobbins, girls basketball coach (volunteer); Peighton Dobbins, girls basketball coach (volunteer); and Tony Flood, wrestling coach (volunteer).
• The retirement of Lapel Elementary School fifth-grade teacher Amy Crandall, effective at the end of this school year. Crandall will have 22 years of service with the district.
• Giving gift cards to bus drivers who had perfect attendance for the 2017-18 school year: Dave Huffman, Terrie Huntzinger and Gary Stinson.
• A tentative time and date for the Academic Hall of Fame Banquet for the Class of 2019: 6:30 p.m. Monday, March 4, at the Madison Park Church of God. The banquet recognizes all members of the Class of 2019 with a grade-point average of 3.5 or higher.
• A resolution to place remaining 2018 appropriations from various Frankton-Lapel Community Schools funds into the rainy day fund as determined by the superintendent to help protect the school corporation in shortfalls of state funding and/or shortfalls in property tax collections.